Trained in Northwoods Positive Reinforcement – Taylored to each Dog
Grouse Hunting Dogs that work with you and for you
Our beliefs about dogs and how best to train them
- We believe no two dogs are alike and that here is no “cookbook” or “one size fits all” approach to training.
- All dogs are inherently smart and should be treated with kindness and positive reinforcement.
- We believe that given the opportunity and support most dogs can develop into a good hunting partner.
- A dog will develop correct behaviors when rewarded with positive outcomes and avoid inappropriate behaviors when provided consistent direction over time.
- Dogs have feelings and respond best to direction that is followed with sincere verbal praise and loving tactile rewards that are given consistently.
- A hunting dog must have the opportunity to work in the environment of the birds they hunt. It takes working grouse to develop into a true grouse dog.
- When working with a puppy, he/she is a clean slate. You are responsible for what he/she does or does not learn and for any undesirable behaviors it develops.
- When gun breaking a dog there is no fixed schedule or time frame. Introduction to the gun depends on the dog’s maturity, the exposure to birds it has had, and proceeding with full attention paid to the dog’s body language. Making a mistake by introducing the gun too soon or inappropriately is a set-back that can take a good deal of time and effort to correct. We believe gun breaking is best left to a professional trainer.
When it comes to hunting, the performance of your dog reflects the training you have done. It also reflects how good you are as a handler, your ability to read the cover and understanding the true hunting partnership between you and your dog is just as critical as having a trained grouse dog.
Northwind Setters training and guided grouse hunts in Midwest & Canada
We don’t just do setters as a side business or raise a bunch of puppies and sell litter after litter of pups like most kennels. We train and sell started pups for Grouse hunting or more advance started Grouse Dogs. This is our business along with creating Mobile Grouse Hunting Maps which locate and identify, by habitat, the best bird hunting areas on public land. Our setters are proven in the grouse woods of Northern Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota the New England States and Canada. We have guided grouse hunters in the Northwood’s for over 18 years and conducted hunting seminars in numerous locations across the east coast. Our focus in Grouse and Woodcock and developing the best dogs possible for grouse hunting.